Director of Development/Head of Development
The New York Society Library seeks a Director of Development (official title: Head of Development) who will be responsible for planning, organizing, and directing The New York Society Library’s fundraising including managing an upcoming capital campaign, the annual fund, major gifts, planned giving, and special events. The Head of Development works closely with the Head Librarian and Board of Trustees in all fundraising endeavors.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 5 years’ minimum experience in professional fundraising
- Thorough knowledge of capital fundraising techniques, annual fund, corporate and foundation relations, and planned giving
- Extensive experience in face-to-face solicitation
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Excellent presentation skills; demonstrated ability to make successful presentations to individuals and/or groups at all levels of an organization
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop, execute, and manage the Library’s annual fundraising plan, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donor base
- Manage the upcoming capital campaign
- Work closely with the Head Librarian and Board of Trustees to accomplish the fundraising goals
- Develop and implement strategies for major donors
- Create and implement strategies for a sustained base of annual donors
- Continue to build the planned giving program
- Supervise and direct the Development Assistant in their duties including the identification and solicitation of foundation grants and all aspects of the Annual Fund
- Create and oversee cultivation and fundraising events
- Solicit contributions and develop potential new donors while representing the institution effectively
- Supervise and review all reporting, tracking, acknowledgements, receipts, and other support programs for the fundraising campaigns
- Collaborate with other Library staff
- Maintain compliance with all Library policies and procedures
This is a Full-time position. Potential for part-time depending on candidate. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a benefits package including health/dental/vision plans, 403(b) defined contribution plan, flexible benefits plan, and vacation and holiday time. The New York Society Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates should email a resume, cover letter outlining how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications for the position, names of three professional references, and salary requirements to Madjalia Seynou, Controller at email@example.com. Please include the subject line Head of Development on the email. Applications without the requested information will not be considered.
ABOUT THE LIBRARY: The New York Society Library is an historic membership library founded in 1754. The Library today is open to all for reading, reference, and selected events, with circulation and other services by subscription. The beautiful landmarked building dates from 1917 and includes reading rooms, spaces for study, book stacks, a Children's Library, and the Assunta, Ignazio, Ada and Romano Peluso Exhibition Gallery. The Library has approximately 300,000 volumes and hosts a variety of special events, reading groups, and workshops, as well as the New York City Book Awards.