Part-Time Circulation Assistant/Page (revised 9/20/22)
The Library is seeking a Part-Time Circulation Assistant/Page. The position reports to the Assistant Head Librarian.
The Circulation Assistant/Page assists patrons at the Circulation Desk and over telephone/email by performing procedures related to the circulation of materials and public services. Page duties include preparing, retrieving, and re-shelving books, and aiding Library users as needed.
The Successful Candidate Will Have:
- Excellent communication skills, strong attention to detail, computer proficiency, and the ability to sort alphanumerically
- A commitment to providing superior service and the ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy environment
- Prior library experience and knowledge of integrated library systems (preferably Sierra) is preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required
- Checking out and renewing Library materials using an automated Circulation system
- Placing holds on materials for members
- Collecting fines and fees
- Responding to patron requests at the Circulation Desk and by email/phone
- Assisting patrons’ search for materials in the Library’s catalog and databases
- Preparing and sending overdue and reserve notices
- Advising potential members and registering new ones
- Retrieving library materials
- Shelving materials by call number in correct location
- Preparing books, periodicals, and newspapers for circulation
- Providing tours for prospective members
- Assisting patrons as needed
- Performing other duties as required
- Maintaining compliance with all Library policies and procedures
- Maintaining a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and public services
Standing/walking for extended periods
Moving book trucks
Climbing stepstools and ladders
Occasional to frequent lifting up to 30 lbs.
Vision: Normal. Requires long periods of work at computers.
Indoor environment, working closely with others and independently. Occasional exposure to dust and mold.
This is an entry level part-time position (28 hours per week) including Saturday and Sunday 11am-5pm. Additional hours to be comprised of weekday and evening shifts. Schedule subject to change with flexibility required to work alternate shifts if needed. The New York Society Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
Potential candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and the names of three (3) references with contact information to Meg Donabedian, Assistant Head Librarian, at email@example.com with “Circulation Assistant/Page” in the subject line to be considered. Visit our website at www.nysoclib.org for more information.
Compensation: $17 per hour
Proof of full vaccination required
ABOUT THE LIBRARY: The New York Society Library is a historic membership library founded in 1754. The Library today is open to all for reading, reference, and selected events, with circulation and other services by subscription. The beautiful landmarked building dates from 1917 and includes reading rooms, spaces for study, book stacks, and the Assunta, Ignazio, Ada and Romano Peluso Exhibition Gallery. The Library has approximately 300,000 volumes and hosts a variety of special events, reading groups, and workshops, as well as the New York City Book Awards.