Downloading Audiobooks using RBdigital
The instructions below are designed for the first-time user to access RBdigital audiobooks, register an account, checkout audiobooks and listen in a variety of methods.. There are additional tutorials and FAQs on the RBdigital website including this short video that walks through the checkout process. RBdigital offers listening options for online streaming, download to a remote device, and mobile iOS, Android and Kindle Fire devices.
If you are using RBdigital remotely, be sure to log in to The New York Society Libary's website first.
Searching for titles
The quickest and best way to search for titles is by going to the RBdigital web site . The basic search interface is easy to use. Select the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner of the screen and select "audiobooks." Search by keyword, title, authors, narrator. You also select the Advanced Search option and select options to further specify your search criteria.
- One can also search The New York Society Library’s online catalog by author or title. Click here to browse all titles. Keep in mind that although there are bibliographic records in our catalog for all of our audiobook downloads, the books are not immediately accessible from our catalog. There are hyperlinks in each record to the RBdigital site where the searching and downloading process is performed.
Creating your RBdigital account
- Go to the RBdigial web site, and click the "Register" link.
- Create a user name and password. Click Register.
- You will now be logged in with your newly created account.
Checking out audiobooks
- Checkout out desired audiobook by selecting the "Checkout" button associated with the title – either on one of the featured pages, search result pages, or a specific title detail page
- If the book is not available, a "Hold" button will appear. Selecting "Hold" will put you in line to receive the book when available and an email will be sent to you to notify you that the book is available and checked out to you.
- You may also checkout audiobooks in the mobile apps.
Listening to audiobooks
There are four primary ways to listen to checked out audiobooks:
- Stream a title online from the title detail page/chapters tab. Click on the chapter you wish to play. The next chapter will play when the current chapter finishes.
Download and listen on the computer
- Download the RBdigital Media Manager for Windows or for Mac. The Media Manager app download link is in the footer of the RBdigital site.
- Log into the Media Manager with your same RBdigital credentials
- Your audiobooks will appear and select the title to play.
Download and transfer to a mp3 player
- The RBdigital Media manager also transfers your audiobooks to a connected mp3 player, such as a Sony Walkman or iPod Nano
- Download the RBdigital Media Manager and log in
- Connect your mp3 player
- Select the audiobook to transfer and select "Transfer/Download"
- The audiobook downloads
- Find your audiobook on your mp3 player menu and select the title to play
Mobile apps for iOS, Android, Kindle Fire devices
- RBdigital has mobile apps for searching, checking out and playing audiobooks once you have your RBdigital account registered.
- The app download links are located in the footer of RBdigital.
- Download the app for your device
- Log in with your same RBdigital credentials
- Select the ‘three-line’ menu in the upper left of your mobile device screen to display the menu.
- Select "checkedout" from the menu.
- Locate your checked out titles and select the title to download and play.
- Your title will download while it starts to play.
If you have any questions, please contact our Reference Desk at 212-288-6900, x202; or email firstname.lastname@example.org.