The Green Alcove, located in Stack 12, is a popular study space.
John Cleve Green (1800-1875) was a prosperous figure of the old China trade. His family left an endowment to the Library for the purchase and repair of art and non-fiction books.
One of the alcoves in the Library's previous building at University Place was named in John Green's honor. His portrait and panelling from the Green Alcove at University Place were relocated here when the Library moved uptown.