The 2018-2019 New York City Book Awards
Founded in 1995, these awards honor the best books about New York City published in a given year, regardless of genre.
The 2018 winners are
- Victoria Johnson, American Eden: David Hosack, Botany, and Medicine in the Garden of the Early Republic (Liveright)
- Stephen L. Carter, Invisible: The Forgotten Story of the Black Woman Lawyer Who Took Down America’s Most Powerful Mobster (Henry Holt and Co.)
- Philip Ashforth Coppola, Ezra Bookman, and Jeremy Workman, One-Track Mind: Drawing the New York Subway (Princeton Architectural Press)
- Elizabeth Acevedo, The Poet X (HarperTeen)
- Karina Yan Glaser, The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (HMH Books for Young Readers)
- The Hornblower Award for a First Book: Albert Samaha, Never Ran, Never Will: Boyhood and Football in a Changing American Inner City (PublicAffairs)
The winning authors and publishers were honored at an awards ceremony on May 1. Click here for more information and a ceremony recording.
The 2018-2019 New York City Book Awards were generously underwritten by Ellen M. Iseman.